Thursday, June 17, 2010

Afternoon Delight - Fresh Strawberries, Grapes and Banana Bran Muffins



It is another beautiful June day and I planned to relax for a few moments out on the deck with a late afternoon snack and lemon water. I had made some more brain food for the student and this time it was banana bran muffins.



The Shouldice Berry Farm & Market's roadside stand is quite close to us so I popped over to Woodroffe and Richmond to get a 2-litre basket of berries to round out the plate. The basket sold for $9. I have not priced local berries so I am not sure if this is typical but it did motivate me to consider Pick Your Own the next time I get the craving. I have to say though, they were so juicy and flavourful.



Once we had assembled our goodies we headed outside as the backyard was so inviting.



The student came, snacked and went. Pretty much as quick as my many resident squirrels.

BANANA BRAN MUFFINS

STARTER INGREDIENTS:
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar, scant
3/4 cup sugar, scant
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups bananas, whole, ripe and mashed (3 large)
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DRY INGREDIENTS:
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups bran, natural
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts

In a mixing bowl, add starter ingredients in order given. Beat.

Mix dry ingredients together.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix only until blended. Fill 48 medium or 36 large muffin tins lined with baking cups. Let stand on counter 30 minutes. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes or until done.

2 comments:

  1. Is that for real?? I think I am dreaming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fancy afternoon snack. But then student and I had homemade hamburgers for dinner. A bit more pedestrian.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...