Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Risotto Cakes to Celebrate Breaking Through The 100 Blog Post Milestone



Today I realized that I broke through the 100 blog post milestone with my write-ups on the Food Day in Canada celebration party from this weekend.

So, although I was home alone for dinner tonight, I thought the big event should not go by without a bit of merrymaking. Problem was, the cupboards were bare. There was soup, risotto and herbs leftover from the weekend party. Yikes!

I don't know where the idea came from but risotto cakes popped into my head. I have never made them, but how hard can they be? I also wanted spicy! But the Red Chard Risotto I made was not spicy.

I love to bread with panko so I decided to season it with cayenne. I thought of making an aioli or a kicked up mayonnaise to garnish the dish. I found sour cream still in good shape, so I added President's Choice Memories of Thailand and also Sriracha. That hot chili sauce did the trick. Then for pretty, I topped off the plate with deep-fried onion greens and fresh, fresh cilantro.

When I started blogging in earnest way back in March, I didn't think I would be writing at such a clip. I have enjoyed the journey so far, and have met some wonderful people. Ottawa has a great food community both in the restaurant kitchens, in their dining rooms and in the kitchen's at home. There are many people who have food passion, who love making it well and who love eating it well. It is a passion that can only lead to even better things.



RISOTTO CAKES

leftover risotto, chilled
egg, lightly beaten
panko (Japanese bread flakes)
cayenne
Italian parsley
sour cream
President's Choice Memories of Thailand
Sriracha
deep-fried onion greens
cilantro

Form the chilled risotto in a 2"' in diameter cake and about 3/4" thick. Dip into egg wash. Then cover with panko, which has been seasoned with cayenne and Italian parsley. Pour enough canola oil into large skillet to coat bottom. Add a dollop of butter. Heat oil mixture over medium-high heat. Sauté risotto cakes until crisp and brown, about 2 1/2 minutes per side.

Flavour sour cream with President's Choice Memories of Thailand and Sriracha to your desired level of heat.

Arrange risotto cakes on plate. Top with spiced up sour cream mixture. Garnish with deep-fried onion greens and freshly chopped cilantro.

Celebrate.

2 comments:

  1. Being new to blogging I'm in awe of your 100 milestone. Also in awe of your photos. I could eat them right off my computer screen!
    Keep on blogging!
    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Etiquetteottawa: Thanks for the good wishes Suzanne! am still doing it since it is still fun. I hope you are enjoying the blogging world too. Both our worlds have endless content.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...