Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Homemade Edgar-esque Panini



When I couldn't get to Edgar in Hull today for lunch, I ended up making my own Edgar-esque panini to satisfy my appetite:

Art-is-in Boulangerie
Dynamite bread (Roasted Garlic and Rosemary) with goat cheese, perfectly ripe avocado slices, roasted red pepper slices, vine-ripe tomato slices, red onion slivers, fresh cilantro leaves, toasted pine nuts and chipotle mayo with chives.


I have had some unforgettable paninis at Edgar and one very similar to this before. As I loaded on the goodies, it was hard to stop. Pine nuts? Perhaps a bit unconventional but it was actually good!

I thought about my hopeful lunch trip to Edgar all morning. I knew I was going to have a panini. I often chose soup. I was imagining the warm, crunchy bread and the oozing flavours all piled in together. There would be cheese of some sort. Vegetables of some sort. And some flavour that kicked. Maybe a protein. Maybe not. Whatever Marysol put together, it would be all Edgar. By 2 o'clock I knew I wasn't going to make it.

Sometimes when you get fixated on an outcome, you miss the so very obvious. It finally dawned on me that I would have Edgar at home. Now I am no Marysol when it comes to her prowess with food stocks, but I was willing to give it a whirl.

This rescue lunch likely would not have been possible except for the fact that the teenager is back in the house for a few months. Our fridge and freezer are well stocked and on the ready for whatever that hungry appetite might throw at them 24/7. His recently gifted panini grill has also amped up what creations might come out of the kitchen.

Thanks to the teenager, here is some of our regular fare that we have on hand:

Freezer
  • Art-is-in Boulangerie Dynamite bread pre-cut to panini size and ready for assembly
  • Roasted red peppers individually wrapped

Kitchen
  • Red onion
  • Vine-ripe tomatoes

Fridge
  • Goat cheese
  • Mayonnaise

The ingredients that ended up 'making' the sandwich included leftovers from other cooking experiences over the past week.

We happened to have on hand:
  • Toasted pine nuts leftover from last night's dinner party
  • A number of perfectly ripe avocados
  • Chipotle peppers and sauce leftover from chili night
  • Fresh cilantro leftover from chili night
  • Chives leftover from last night's dinner party
Marysol's Edgar was pure inspiration today but there is no fear that my own panini miscellany will stop me from making that drive over the river when I can. My panini was great, but hers are better. And I am willing to succumb to the temptation of her mini treats and that wonderful cup of Cha Yi tea every time.

2 comments:

  1. It looks very yummy. I'm going to note it down. I love Marysol's paninis too. Everytime I go to Edgar, I say to myself that I will have something else but who am I kidding? I want her sandwiches. I think I even asked for a panini maker for Christmas because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was deliriously delicious. So much so that I totally lacked imagination and had another one today. I love the pine nuts and cilantro in with it. Today's was extra loaded. Getting low on the bread stash though. Will need to stalk up. I hope that the panini grill gets left behind when the teenager heads out in a few months. Thanks for coming by Mélodie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...