Monday, August 15, 2011

Mediterranean Zucchini Salad in Pita Pockets



With my recent Roots and Shoots Farm CSA Basket, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with my zucchini stash. Not only did I have leftover zukes from the last basket but my neighbour shared her basket with me since they were out of town.

I made a commitment to make zucchini bread, something I have never done before. (I know. I having been living under a rock. Who hasn't made zucchini bread.) But it was clear that my zucchini population was far beyond what a cake needed.

I wish I could remember which food blog had a snappy picture of zucchini match sticks last week, but whoever it was, they managed to wake a very delicious memory in my recipe archive.

25+ years ago I was introduced to a sophisticated sandwich at a fancy lunch while cottaging with friends out at Constance Bay. It is not a recipe I would have gravitated to at that time. Raw zucchini, olives and dill drew me in. When I tasted that combination along with tomatoes, onion, and green pepper, there was a definite WOW!

This is a great salad to have as a side if you want to pass on making it into a sandwich.

Oh, how I have appreciated reconnecting with an old friend.


[From Roots and Shoots Farm: Zucchinis, Tomatoes, Onion, Green Pepper]



Mediterranean Zucchini Salad in Pita Pockets
Adapted from Canadian Living

Salad:
5 average zucchinis, multiple varieties if possible for bright colour
6 heirloom tomatoes, multiple varieties if possible for bright colour
1 green pepper
1 spring onion
handful of Italian parsley
8 olives stuffed with pimentos
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
6 Pita breads, super fresh

Dressing:
juice from 1 lemon (1/4 cup)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried)
fresh oregano (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon anchovy paste
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Using the mandolin, cut the zucchini into match sticks. Chop the tomatoes. Finely chop the green pepper, onion, olives and parsley. Combine the vegetables with the shredded mozzarella cheese. Cover with the dressing and chill until serving. When loading the pita halves, use tongs to grab the salad as any excess dressing will make the bread soggy and very hard to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...