Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Napa Cabbage Coleslaw from my Roots and Shoots Farm CSA Basket



I love a freshly harvested cabbage for coleslaw. Although napa cabbage is a bit unconventional for slaw, I decided to give it a try since this week's CSA basket from Roots and Shoots Farm had said cabbage, plus a bunch of carrots and also onions.







I used my KitchenAid food processor for shredding the cabbage and grating the carrots. The small cutting blade for the cabbage and the large grating blade for the carrots.

Because napa cabbage does not grow as tightly as a normal head of green cabbage, it can easily catch the dirt from the field, as well as some outdoor creatures. We cut the base of the cabbage off before washing each leave individually.

After it was well dried, I made bundles to push through the food processor.



My favourite dressing is Bobby Flay's Creamy Coleslaw recipe, which I found on the Food Network website a few years ago.



Creamy Coleslaw
adapted from Bobby Flay, Food Network

1 head napa cabbage, finely shredded
1/2 bunch of carrots, cleaned, peeled and grated

Dressing:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 small onion grated
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoon celery salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
sprinkle of celery seeds 



The napa cabbage is structurally a mix of very delicate leaves and a base of typical cabbage density. Although the slaw was lovely when served right away, I am not so optimistic about its beauty when we have it for lunch tomorrow. I would consider just dressing what I would use for the meal and keep extra the cabbage/carrot combo separate from the dressing for later. The shredded cabbage should be well packaged though so it doesn't brown or wilt.

Next time I also want to reduce the salt and will try to make my own celery salt by using celery powder and salt with a lower ratio on the salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...