Thursday, August 25, 2011

Roots and Shoots Farm - 9th Week of CSA Food 2011



I could use some help. If this was your CSA basket, what would you be making? I would love to hear what my Roots and Shoots CSA buddies are up to as well.

We are over half way through our CSA season. Many feel like summer is drawing to a close with the start of the new school year so close. But there is still many good weeks of harvest in the fields.

My CSA basket this week from Roots and Shoots Farm is particularly purple.

A few weeks back, the farm instituted a Trade Box with our pickup. If there was something we did not want to take from our share, we could then do a trade with another item in the Trade Box. When I first heard of the concept, I thought it was brilliant. Except that I had no plans to use it. I was going to take what I was given and rise to the challenge of liking it and liking to cook with it.

But this week I peeked in the Trade Box just to see what temptations lay inside. Bad idea. There was a solid, fresh red cabbage. I love red cabbage. I closed the lid and walked away, so disappointed that I had been tempted. I was going to stick to my guns and keep my contents. It felt like a culinary version of Lets Make A Deal. In the end I buckled and traded my big, bad boy, bok choy for that luscious red cabbage. I traded something green and white for something purple. No regrets.

With my last basket, I made recipe plans for the produce the day I received it. This proved to be very helpful. I changed my mind once but other than that, I forged ahead and made the meals as the occasion suited. I wish I was feeling so clever about this basket. I am wondering if I need to be considering more ideas around preserving or freezing.

Just a reminder: There is a concert at the farm Tuesday evening. Read all about it on Facebook. It is potluck. Don't over think that part. Just a little offering. The 'fishes and loaves' parable works for all faiths! Lawn chair, utensils, plate, cup and a wee dram of your favourite drink. (Tuesday is Sunny. High of 24°C and a low of 12°C.)


Red cabbage


Red Russian Kale - a great abundance actually.


A small bunch of purple beets.


Sweet carrots. They were very dirty and hairy (roots) when I picked them up but I gave them a good scrub down before the camera saw them.


Red Scallions


Zucchinis - they look very fancy pants, don't they.


Peppers - I look at these and think I should be pickling.


Cucumbers - now for sure I should be pickling. Time to hit the books. It's been a while.


Mixed heirloom tomatoes - nature's candy.


Another garlic for our stockpile.


A mix of potatoes.

If you want to learn more about the farm, the contact information for Roots and Shoots Farm is:
ROBIN TURNER
robin@rootsandshootsfarm.com
www.rootsandshootsfarm.com
613.897.8975

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful basket, once again.

    Every time I see kale, I think of pasta or caldo verde, the portugese soup with kale and chorizo (and small navy beans for me). I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melodie: I have been going a bit pasta crazy with the kale. I like the idea of trying the Portuguese soup. I did see a great recipe in Bonnie Stern's article in the National Post today. It is a Jonathan Gushue (executive chef at Langdon Hall - I'm a huge fan) recipe called Kale Caesar Salad with Cashew Dressing. Check it out. Doesn't it sound fabulous? http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/08/27/bonnie-stern-your-kitchen-his-creations/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I didn't know this website. Another one to add to my list.

    The recipe does sound wonderful. I've never had raw kale before. I don't know why but I always think it is going to be "tough". I should definitely try it. Do you know the book "In the kitchen with a good appetite" by Melissa Clark ? She also has a recipe for raw kale salad that she gushes over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melodie: I haven't made anything from Melissa's cookbook. It sounds like you are a fan. It is time to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I borrowed her book from the library to try it out because I didn't know the author. I must have tried about 4 recipes over the course of the month and all were good. It is now on my To Buy List :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was my plan too - the library first to try. Now I am wondering if I should just move it to the To Buy List too. If I see it at Costco, it's game over for sure. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...