Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Wonderful Belgian Waffles


As we approach the tail-end of the holidays, our supplies are running low in the fridge and the pantry. Still feeling festive, we wanted to make something special for breakfast. Thankfully the glamorous waffle is just a combination of the basics: flour, eggs, milk and butter.

This recipe comes from my mother. She did a year abroad in her early 20's, working in California at the estate of Mr. and Mrs. Yates. Collecting recipes from her stay there was her introduction to more Americanized dishes to add to her solid repertoire of Danish cuisine.

This morning I served my waffles with the last of my homemade Strawberry Freezer Sauce and a small drizzle of Canadian maple syrup. My super-sized pomegranate is still giving me beautiful hits of colour for garnish. (I hope it lasts to Epiphany!)

Are waffles ever a part of your breakfast mornings? How do you glam them up?


WONDERFUL BELGIAN WAFFLES
Yields: 16 waffles 

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons melted butter 

Method:
Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into bowl.

Separate eggs and whip egg whites until stiff.  Beat yolks in a separate bowl. Add the milk to the egg yolks and beat together.

Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, slowly beating until perfectly smooth. Add the melted butter and combine. Then fold in the egg whites.

Use the waffle maker as directed.

Notes:
My machine is the Philips Deluxe Wafflemaker HL5360. I cook my waffles for 5 to 6 minutes depending on if I am serving them right away or storing them in the freezer.

When I serve them right away, I like them to be a bit crispy. If I am freezing them, I want to allow for a bit of cooking when they are being warmed (and crisped) in the toaster.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...