Thursday, April 4, 2013

Creamy Coleslaw With A Kick


Some people like their coleslaw with oil and vinegar dressing. Some prefer creamy.  We swing both ways.  Our creamy coleslaw dressing has evolved and now it has an extra 'kick'.

I have faithfully been following the directions for Bobby Flay's Creamy Coleslaw Dressing to a tee. Over time though the formula has been shifting to adjust to our own tastes in seasonings and also to deal with substitutions when our pantry has been lacking. Our latest concoction is worthy of repeating.

For the base of my slaw I shred one head of green cabbage and part of a red.  Sometimes as much as half, depending on the size.  The carrots are also size dependent, but usually I grate two or three.  Let your colour sense dictate your blend.  I find the proportions are more about looks than taste. Some think of cabbage as peasant food so I do like it to be a snappy dresser.

How has my latest dressing varied from the original by Bobby Flay?

I have upped the mayonnaise and sour cream to make sure there is enough dressing. Partly because the volume of slaw has increased from adding the red cabbage. And cabbage head sizes can be so unpredictable. I now add celery seeds and less celery salt.  The vinegar is less, as is the sugar.

The latest big change - dry mustard has been reduced to make room for the kick of horseradish. Truth be told, we ran out of dry mustard. The horseradish idea seemed like a stroke of brilliance.  The darling son's idea.  I take no credit. My observation - aversion to last minute grocery store runs can be the mother of invention.

I put the pre-dressed slaw together and store in a Ziploc bag with all the air removed.  I only dress as much slaw as I am using in a serving to keep it crisp. Coleslaw is a wonderful side dish for ham or pork of any kind. Terrific as a picnic food. I like it just as a midday snack.

What makes your creamy coleslaw dressing pack the punch?

Anne and Bobby's Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
Inspired by Bobby Flay, Food Network

1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 teaspoon horseradish
2 teaspoons dry mustard

Combine all the ingredients together and adjust to taste.  The dressing can keep chilled in the fridge for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...