Saturday, June 21, 2014

Roots and Shoots Farm - 1st Week of CSA Food 2014


Waiting for the CSA season to begin is much like waiting for your birthday.  I've been counting down the days for Roots and Shoots Farm's food basket.  This little farm near Manotick Station started 5 seasons ago and has developed into a mighty one. One that is now certified organic and also grows winter greens.

My drop off location is close to home here in Westboro. An easy walk or a short drive. Danny B, CSA & Market Manager, was there to greet us this week.  His ever smiling face and booming voice. Danny is eating the food from the farm all day long. I think, if I eat a steady diet of this great produce I'll be that crazy happy too. I'm sure what you eat must matter.

I am a CSA veteran. I too have been doing the food baskets for 5 years. All the years that Roots and Shoots Farm has been in Ottawa.

As this farm has matured over this half decade, so has their produce.  More vibrant, consistent and substantial. Let me present to you my first share for 2014. A smaller one to start, but oh so good.

Swiss chard

Curly kale

Romaine lettuce

Spicy mixed greens

Spring onions

Radishes

Did you miss out on signing up for their share? Do what I do when I need an extra boost of vegetables.  Shop at their stall at the Ottawa Farmers' Market.  In Westboro on the Byron Lineaer Park on Saturdays from 9:30 am to 3 pm. At Brewer Park on Sundays from 8 am to 3 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...